Depending on who you ask will determine whether or not cinnamon is a home remedy for heartburn. Some people claim it causes heartburn, while others claim it cures heartburn. I have taken cinnamon and it seems to work for me.
If ginger ale has ever made your stomach feel worse, there’s a reason. Here’s why that old remedy doesn’t work so well.
Have these fruits as a snack during the day or add to breakfast by tossing in yogurts, oatmeal, or cereal. Chocolate is made with cocoa which is acidic in nature and encourages esophageal sphincter to relax, triggering acid reflux. This is why it’s best to avoid hot chocolate and chocolate milk shake if you suffer from chronic reflux which often contain both cocoa and caffeine. In fact, research has found that decaffeinated coffee is safer for acid reflux sufferers. Highly acidic in nature, citrus fruits like oranges, grapefruit and tangerine are common GERD triggers.
Ginger root has lots of proven health benefits, which are amazing. These benefits you also find in the ginger ale, if the ale is made from real ginger root.
- However, the Mayo Clinic website warns that individuals experiencing symptoms of bloating and excess gas may worsen their condition by adding carbonated beverages to their stomach.
- Sodium bicarbonate is generally safe and nontoxic.
- Ginger root is a natural anti-inflammatory, which is the exact opposite you’d expect from such a spicy, well, spice.
- Peppermint is a herb that helps to calm the stomach.
- Do not take it in large doses because that can be harmful to your health.
- Thomas Cantrell, an American apothecary living in Ireland, carbonated his drink with soda water instead of yeast and began exporting the beverage to the U.S. around 1850.
If you’re so sick that you can’t eat, for example, Li said drinking ginger ale may make you feel better because it’s at least putting some calories into your body. This may be one of the reasons why people claim ginger soda makes them feel better when they’re sick, she explained.
Ginger Ale for an Upset Stomach?
Sometimes other fruits such as lemon or lime can be added. It can also be mixed with mint or green tea to change the flavor. If you have gas problem, indigestion or flatulence, ginger ale is a natural herbal remedy.
But there is a big down side to the commercial ginger ale. It’s not what it used to be. Companies eager to streamline and make more money have resulted in that real ginger is not as easy to find in ginger ales any longer. Bring the four cups of regular water, not the carbonated, to a boil and add the ginger. Brewing your own ginger ale will usually result in a healthier and more nutrient packed drink than store-bought or artificially flavored ginger ale.
Thus, eating foods and drinks that prevent acid reflux can help decrease the chances of heartburn, indigestion, pain, nausea, and any other discomfort that can arise. It’s also worth noting which foods should be avoided to prevent acid reflux, as effects from these triggers can last hours and be quite damaging to our productivity and wellbeing.